NITA-NIPNLG “Advocacy in Immigration Matters” Virtual Training (Aug. 2023)
- $500.00 - Non-profit Attorney or Fully Accredited Representative (NIPNLG Member)
- $750.00 - Non-profit Attorney or Fully Accredited Representative (Non-NIPNLG Member)
- $1,000.00 - Law School Faculty & Private Attorneys (NIPNLG Members ONLY)
Application Deadline July 14, 2023 at 11:59PM ET
The National Immigration Project is pleased to partner with the National Institute for Trial Advocacy (NITA) to offer a court skills training for immigration court advocates. This training is ideal for advocates who have some court background and want to improve their skills through an intensive experiential experience with meaningful critique from experienced practitioners, including a retired Immigration Judge.
The program encompasses and requires attendance at the following:
- A 2-hour session on case analysis from 12-2 PM ET on Monday, August 21, 2023
- The court skills program from 12:30 PM to 5:30 PM ET on Wednesday, August 23, 2023 through Friday, August 25, 2023
Prior to court skills program starting on August 21st, participants are expected to:
- View a series of recorded NITA videos on trial skills
- Review training materials, including the asylum case file and trial skills practice advisories
- Complete a case assessment exercise
To apply, please complete the application form found-HERE. Applications are due on Friday, July 14, 2023 at 11:59 PM ET and NIPNLG will give priority to its members.
NIPNLG will inform applicants of their status by Friday, July 21, 2023. If the application is approved, the
applicant must submit the registration fee to NIPNLG and sign a certification affirming an
understanding of the attendance expectations.
Failure to complete these requirements by Wednesday, July 26th at 12PM ET will result in the selected participant forfeiting their spot in this training.
Selected participants should expect to spend approximately 15 hours preparing for the program in addition to actively participating in the 2-hour case assessment session on Monday, August 21st and the entire court skills program from Wednesday, August 23, 2023 through Friday, August 25, 2023.
Please consider and be realistic about this time commitment— for both preparation for the program and the program itself— before applying.
This is an intensive, but rewarding program, provided you put in the time and effort. As one past participant put it, “ I have had a few trials since [the NITA-NIPLG court skills training], and the training was invaluable in prepping for them….I think I would have been drowning if not for the NITA training. But instead, I think I felt confident enough, which I think was helpful for my clients, and I think we got out the testimony we needed in both cases.”