NITA-NIPNLG Virtual “Advocacy in Immigration Matters” Training (Aug. 2022)
- $500.00 - Non-profit Attorney or Fully Accredited Representative (NIPNLG Member)
- $750.00 - Non-profit Attorney or Fully Accredited Representative (Non-NIPNLG Member)
- $1,000.00 - Law School Faculty & Private Attorneys (NIPNLG Members ONLY)
Application Deadline July 5th at 5PM ET
The National Immigration Project of the National Lawyers Guild is pleased to partner
with the National Institute for Trial Advocacy (NITA) to offer a court skills training. This
4-day virtual training will benefit immigrant rights advocates who have limited immigration court
advocacy experience and want to establish a solid foundation in litigation skills through an intensive
training experience with meaningful feedback from experienced litigators and seasoned
immigration practitioners, including a retired Immigration Judge.
The program encompasses and requires attendance at the following:
- A 2-hour session on case assessment from 12-2 PM ET on Friday, August 5, 2022
- The court skills program from 12:30 to 5:30 PM ET on Wednesday, August 10 through Friday, August 12, 2022
Prior to court skills program starting on August 5th, participants are expected to:
- View a series of recorded NITA videos on trial skills
- Review training materials, including the asylum case file and trial skills practice advisories
- Complete a case assessment exercise
To apply, please complete the application form found-HERE. Applications are due on July 1, 2022 at 12 PM ET and NIPNLG will give priority to its members.
NIPNLG will inform applicants of their status by July 8, 2022. If the application is approved, the
applicant must submit the registration fee to NIPNLG and sign a certification affirming an
understanding of the attendance expectations.
Failure to complete these requirements by Monday, July 18th at 12PM ET will result in the selected participant forfeiting their spot in this training.
Selected participants should expect to spend approximately 15 hours preparing for the program in addition to actively participating in the 2-hour case assessment session on August 5th and the entire court skills program from Wednesday, August 10 through Friday, August 12, 2022.
Please consider and be realistic about this time commitment— for both preparation for the program and the program itself— before applying.